FUNDAMENTALS FOR ENGAGING WITH CULTURE - Eric Johnson
WOW - What a download from Eric - I felt challenged, provoked, rebuked and adjusted all at the same time!
We need to leave the walls of the church to love our city well.
Church and Culture Genesis 1: 26
We should not be afraid to engage with culture.
1: We must have Gods narrative on humanity. Identity / see humanity the way God does. Otherwise we could ruin it.
2: Jesus is a person to know
- Religous Spirit = is focused on what you know
- Connection is what Jesus wants, depth,beauty purity, bring Jesus back to the centre of everything we do.
3: Bob Jones (a beloved prophet of the Bethel Family) was sitting in a window looking out, he saw Jesus going in and out of culture like you wouldn't believe, he was connecting to prostitutes, babies, feeding 5000, tax collector, contending with intellectuals. To live kingdom is not guilty by association. We are some of the richest in world, however Bob said there is currently no church culture that would accept Jesus fully!
Do I Love people more than my desire to protect my reputation?
- Holiness is all about Jesus.
- Engage with culture and society, we can I go in and out of cultures.
- Grow up teaching ourselves and our kids to not be afraid of culture. Jesus was a crisis magnet for problems. Light only works in dark places. Remember who lives inside of us, engage with Him. Holiness is not a means for segregation.
4. DO WE CARE ABOUT OUR CITIES- Do we own it, or do we have an US & THEM mindset. If so we're being superior (ghastly thought! - and I know I can come across as superior sometimes)!
- Our Cities matter to us, do we emotionally connect and care for our city, our nation. Nehemiah 1:1-4 do we weep have an emotional response
Doom prophetic word, is an old testament paradym and emphasises 'us and them'.
5. STAY IN THE GAME Daniel 1: Daniel, Shadrach, Meshak and Abednego did 3 years of evil supernatural school, when captured by Nebucanezer who wanted to teach the world system opposite of God. Daniel mindset was - I can't do this - but I will stay in the game - I can eat Vegatables. They got healthy and fat, they maintained their conscience and purity in an evil system.
- Daniel dream interpretation, God gives Daniel a skill set to serve Nebucanezer who hates God, God loves humanity and raise up people who can serve Nebucanezer's.
- Daniel operates to make a evil man look Good, We can serve without embracing all their values!
WHAT CAN WE DO TO SUPPORT YOU?
PEOPLE THAT WANT TO GO INTO DARK PLACES NEED HELP TO DO THAT AND BE SUPPORTED.
- I found this so challenging and provoking, because I'm passionate about His church, thats what He's shown me, that's what I've given my life to build, create and inspire - that is my primary focus - but not everybody is called to do the same and the world needs us all to build, create and inspire.
WHAT CAN WE DO TO SUPPORT YOU TO DO THIS?
Ideas in comments below please.
Shadrach, Medhach and Abednego lived in an evil kingdom for 26 year and didn't compromise.
Daniel was thrown into the Lions Den by Nebucanezer who'd been duped by some ambitious employees - Daniel response was "King I hope you live forever", the King was up all night worrying about Daniel - there was genuine love and respect between Daniel & the king.
This happened 67 years after Daniel 1 when he was captured -IT'S POSSIBLE TO DO THIS!
Well I hope this inspires you as much as it did me - more to follow!!